More than 10 days after an earthquake that killed more than 39,000 people in Turkey and neighboring Syria, a teenage girl is pulled from the rubble in Turkey and the families of the missing are awaiting news of her safety.
Broadcaster TRT Haber reports that a 17-year-old girl has been rescued in southeastern Turkey’s Kahramanmaras province, 248 hours after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck Turkey at midnight on 6 February.
Footage showed her being carried on her stretcher to an ambulance covered in a golden winter blanket.
The deadliest earthquake in Turkey’s modern history has killed 36,187 people, officials said. Thousands more have died in Syria, and the quake exacerbates the humanitarian crisis caused by 12 years of war.
Several people were also confirmed alive in Turkey on Wednesday, but reports of such rescues are becoming scarcer. Turkish and Syrian authorities have not yet announced how many people are still missing.
Humanitarian assistance is needed as millions of people become homeless in the freezing cold of winter.
In Kahramanmaras, Turkey, a photo of two missing children was tied to a tree near the apartment complex where they lived.
“My parents are dead,” said Bayram Nakar, who survived the earthquake. He waited with other masked locals as bulldozers removed a huge pile of shattered concrete and twisted metal rods behind a tree.
He said the bodies of the children’s parents were still under the rubble. “My father’s name is Attila Sariirdiz. Her body has not been found yet. When the excavator clears the rubble, we will find her parents.”
More than 4,300 aftershocks have hit the affected areas since the first, according to Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Administration (AFAD).
The Syrian government puts the death toll in its controlled areas at 1,414, which it says is the final number.
Most of the deaths in Syria have occurred in the rebel-held northwest, but rescuers say no survivors have been found in the area since February 9 and efforts are underway to rescue survivors. Focused.
With much of the region’s sanitation infrastructure damaged or unusable, health authorities face a difficult task to keep people from getting sick.
Relief efforts in the northwest have been hampered by conflict, and many feel abandoned as aid is directed to other areas of the vast disaster area.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday it was particularly concerned about the lives of people in the northwest.
Aid shipments from Turkey came to a complete halt shortly after the earthquake as routes used by the United Nations were temporarily blocked.
Earlier this week, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad approved the opening of two more aid crossings, more than a week after the earthquake struck. The WHO is urging the president to authorize the opening of more access points.
A spokesman for the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs told Reuters that as of Thursday, 119 UN trucks had passed through the border crossings of Bab al-Hawa and Bab al-Salam since the earthquake struck. .
Aid consists of food, essential medicines, tents and other shelter supplies, and, in areas with ongoing cholera outbreaks, cholera test kits.
On Wednesday, the UK announced two new measures to make it easier for humanitarian agencies supporting earthquake relief efforts to operate in Syria without violating sanctions imposed on the Assad regime and its supporters. announced that it will be licensed.
Leave a Reply