Five people have been killed in an attack by armed revolutionists on an army base in the Central African Republic (CAR), local officers have said.
On Thursday, deputy prefect Jean Ulrich Semberkpanga said three of the dead in the four-hour attack on Tuesday were civilians (two women and a boy). Martin Kossi, the prefect of the Ouham-Pende region, said two fighters from the CAR’s armed forces had also been killed.
The attack happened in Nzakoungou near the borders with Chad and Cameroon, he said.
Authorities have intertwined revolutionists of the Return, Reclamation, Rehabilitation (3R) body, one of the region’s most important armed groups, presenting itself as a Fulani self-defence troops.
A civil war in the CAR that began in 2013, bending multiple troops against a state on the verge of collapse, had eased highly in recent times.
But about a year ago, fighting restarted suddenly when revolutionists launched an attack to erect President Faustin-Archange Touadera.
previously this week, long- promised national reconciliation talks began with no revolutionary groups invited, leading to a boycott by the opposition.