Channa Kelly, a mother from Tennessee, is speaking out about her family’s horrific tragedy in an effort to raise awareness of the dangers posed by balloons. Just one week after her young daughter Alexandra’s seventh birthday celebrations, the curious child met her untimely demise due to a balloon accident in the family’s home.
The events took place this past October. On Alexandra’s special day, her loved ones gifted her with arts and crafts supplies she adored as well as balloons — including a large 34-inch Mylar number seven balloon filled with helium. But little did they know the fun party favor would soon become a lethal hazard.
In the aftermath of the celebrations, Channa charged herself with popping all the latex balloons, mindful of their asphyxiation risk to kids. Sadly, she did not realize Mylar balloons could pose an equally deadly threat. Left unsupervised for a brief moment as she rested, the curious seven-year-old became trapped. When Channa awoke and found her daughter unconscious with the balloon wrapped tightly around her head, it was too late.
Despite emergency lifesaving attempts, little Alexandra could not be revived. Chillingly, the balloon had somehow fit entirely over her small face during play. Now, the grieving mother is on a mission to educate other parents about “balloon safety” and the hidden risks even large balloons filled with helium can present to children. Through her tragic loss, she hopes no other family must experience such grief and despair.
Channa urges all guardians to remain vigilant and never leave young ones unattended with balloons, as it only takes a single unforeseen moment for a cheerful party favor to transform into a nightmare no one expects. Her story serves as a solemn reminder of how drastically life can change in an instant.