Some members of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) and Boko Haram have surrendered in northeast Nigeria in the once week, according to domestic media reports.
On Wednesday, the News Agency of Nigeria quoted Major General Christopher Musa, a top commander in the region, as saying that an rush targeting ISWAP and Boko Haram fighters has continued to record significant success.
Musa said at least Boko Haram and ISWAP members surrendered in the last week during the operations.
“ This is apparent as thousands of the mutineers comprising combatants,non-combatants, bottom fighters, alongside their families, continued to lay down their arms in different zone of Borno to accept peace,” he said.
The surrendering fighters and their families are awaited to be outlined by the Nigerian army and other stakeholders before they suffer rehab processes, the general added.
Since 2009, Boko Haram has launched an insurrection in northeast Nigeria. Its attacks have spread to neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, urging a military response. The group has also get splintered, with one body pledging attachment to ISIL (ISIS).
About people have been killed and three million civilians displaced in further than a decade of fighting in the country, according to the United Nations Office for the teamwork of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Nigeria.