Lionel Messi’s father Jorge has dismissed reports that his son has signed a massive contract with Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal for next season. He said that Messi has not made any decision about his future and will wait until the end of his current deal with Paris Saint-Germain.
Jorge posted a statement on social media, saying that there is “no word, no signature, no agreement, nothing” with any club for Messi. He accused some media outlets of using Messi’s name to gain fame and spreading false rumours without verifying the information.
He said that Messi will only decide his next move after finishing the season with PSG, where he has a contract until June 30. He also said that he respects Messi’s choice and will support him whatever he decides.
The statement came after a source in Saudi Arabia told AFP news agency that Messi would join Al Hilal for €600m and that the deal was already done. However, Messi’s representatives told GetFootballNewsFrance that this was not true and that no deal had been reached with the Saudi club.
PSG did not comment on the Saudi deal rumours, but confirmed that Messi’s contract expires this summer. Messi’s wife Antonella reportedly does not want to move to Saudi Arabia with their children, which could also be a factor in his decision.